A foodies’ haven bustles at the heart of Santa Barbara with copious amounts of restaurateurs, chefs and brewers flocking here to set up shop and serve up some unique and delicious offerings! You’ll find a particular congregation of these types of vendors in our proclaimed “Funk Zone.” At the base of State Street and adjacent to the ocean marks this special neighborhood where visitors and locals mingle to enjoy contemporary street art while wine tasting, shopping for local crafts, eating delicious pastry or even hopping on an SB Buggie! You’ll immediately feel the charm and want to stay for more. Restaurants galore, unbeatable sips and a vibe you’ll be sure to remember.
Check out some of our favorite Funk Zone recommendations:
- Lama Dog Tap Room | Local craftsman beer, wine & products
- Helena Avenue Bakery | Artisan bakery & kitchen
- Municipal Wine | Tastings | Patio | Outdoor
- Metropulos Fine Foods Merchant |Deli | Casual dining | Catering
- Lucky Penny | Woodfired Pizza | Wine & beer | Gourmet salads & bites
No need to stay in one zone though…amongst the endless list of “not to miss” food stops Santa Barbara has to offer, annual local events and food festivals are a cherished tradition that the community is especially excited to welcome back this year! You’ll be surely immersed in the California food culture by participating in the following upcoming events:
- Sept 10th: Margaritas y Mas! | Elings Park 1-4pm | Unlimited tequila & mezcal tastings | Food Trucks | Live music | Tickets required
- Sept 24th & 25th: Goleta Lemon Festival | Girsh Park 10:00am opening | Free admission & parking | Family fun | Live music | local vendors | food trucks
- Sept 30th – Oct 1st : California Avocado Festival | Linden Ave, Carpinteria | Free admission & parking | Food booths | biergarten | 4 stages for live entertainment | family fun
- Oct 15th: Harbor & Seafood Festival | 10:00am – 5:00pm | Free Admission | Fresh seafood offerings | Free boat rides | Children’s activities | Live music
Special shoutout to Burrito Week * 9/22 – 9/28 * where Santa Barbara restaurants collaborate to offer some of their most specialty and renowned burritos at a discounted rate! (Yes, you heard that correctly) With this only happening once a year, be sure not to miss out if you’re in town. This is a team favorite so we’ll definitely be enjoying alongside you!
For those with an epicurious desire there are also fun private & specialty food tours available for you to get a great introduction to SB eats!
- Taste Santa Barbara Food Tours | Downtown walking food tours | (805) 633-0707
- The Urban Wine Trail | Recommendations and short itineraries spanning two distinct neighborhoods full of food and drink
Stay in close proximity of The Funk Zone or downtown while renting one of our nearby properties!
Photo courtesy of Levi Ventura via Unsplash